Ah, summer. When the mornings are mild, the evenings are warm, and nothing is more enjoyable than a good, long bike ride.
Keep your bike in smooth riding shape with this mid-season checklist of top priority bike maintenance tasks from Lennard Zinn:
- Check your chain for stretch and replace it at 75% stretch or higher.
- Check your brake and shift cables for nicks and proper tension. If you find nicks, replace the cable. If they’re stretched out, tighten ’em up or replace them. If all is well, consider lubing your shift cables with a few drops of chain lube to keep them sliding smoothly through autumn.
- Overhaul your jockey wheels for improved shifting. This should take about 10 minutes.
- Check your wheels for true and tighten any loose spokes.
- Check brake pads for wear and replace them if they’re getting thin.
- Replace that nasty handlebar tape!
- If you’ve got a cartridge bottom bracket, the bearings could likely use some fresh lube by now.
Just a few minutes of bike maintenance goes a long way toward keeping your bike running smoothly on every ride. Find easy, step-by-step instructions on hundreds of bike maintenance tasks inside Zinn & the Art of Road Bike Maintenance, available in your local bike shop, bookstore, or online.