Sheila Taormina explains how to do the most effective swimming drills in her books Swim Speed Secrets, Swim Speed Workouts, and Swim Speed Strokes.
The videos on this website are provided as a visual aid for readers who are using Sheila’s Swim Speed Series of books. When practiced with focus with the guidance of Sheila’s Swim Speed program, these drills will develop the world’s fastest swimming technique in you.
Feel welcome to try these videos to learn new drills, but know that the videos are no substitute for the books. Using these drill videos in isolation is a little like having ingredients without a recipe.
Sheila’s Swim Speed books explain the technical goal of each drill, when to use them (in workouts and throughout the season), how to incorporate the drills into workouts, and why these drills are critical to improving your swimming stroke and speed.
Ready? You can watch each drill on this Swim Speed Series page, on this YouTube playlist, or you can use the Swim Speed Drill Video Index below to find a specific swimming drill:
Swim Tubing and Strength Drills
- Swim Tubing Drill
- Halo Swim Tubing and the Diagonal Phase of the Stroke
- Halo Bench Tubing Drill
- Press-Out Drill
- 50 Free Press-Out Drill
- Tarzan Drill with Peter Vanderkaay
- Hand-Entry Drill (aka One-Arm Drill)
- One-Arm Pull with Kickboard Drill
- Out-of-Water Drill
- Catch-Up Drill and Peter Vanderkaay’s Favorite Drill: Catch-Up Drill
- Recovery Drill and another look at the Recovery, Out-of-Water, or Over-Water Drill
- Dog Paddle Drill
- Finish Drill and another look at the Finish Drill
Feel for the Water Drills
- Sculling Drill or Standing Scull (aka “Tornado” Drill) with Sheila Taormina
- Standing Scull (aka “Tornado” Drill) with Peter Vanderkaay
- Underwater Drill
- Streamline Drill
- Freestyle Flutter Kick with Kickboard
- Laura Sogar’s Favorite Breaststroke Drill: Breaststroke Arms with Flutter Kick
- Ariana Kukors’s Favorite Butterfly Drill: Vertical Dolphin Kick
- Streamline Kick on Back Drill
Serape Swimming Drills