For many triathletes, swimming is the weakest link on race day. The Triathlete’s Guide to Swim Training explains how to refine swim form, build speed, and establish an effective training schedule. Rather than prescribe a universal technique, Coach Steve Tarpinian encourages triathletes to develop an individual stroke that uses their natural strengths. He reviews the basics of freestyle technique: the five phases of the pull and the importance of proper rotation. He then identifies nine common flaws that triathletes make and prescribes drills that will correct and strengthen them. Once triathletes master the fundamentals, they can tackle more advanced freestyle skills and develop the other swimming strokes for increased fitness and strength. Tarpinian also provides instruction on:
- Effective use of swim equipment
- Open water training techniques for speed and safety
- Fitness and competition training programs
- Strength and flexibility training programs
- Training plans and key swim workouts for sprint, Olympic, and long-distance races
Triathletes of all ability levels will enjoy swimming more after using this book to increase their confidence and develop a faster, smoother stroke.
Paperback. Illustrations throughout.
6″ x 9″, 192 pp., $18.95, 9781931382571