From sprint triathlon to a time-crunched Ironman®, coach Gale Bernhardt’s smart and effective triathlon training plans have helped tens of thousands of self-coached athletes reach their goals. Training Plans for Multisport Athletes includes 15 training plans covering nearly every race distance and format in the sport of triathlon, including training programs for sprint, Olympic, half-Iron, Ironman, XTERRA, and duathlon. Bernhardt’s plans cover everything you need to know to prepare for your race. This essential book of training programs is complete with plenty of swim, bike, and run workouts to keep training fresh and rewarding.
Bernhardt’s unparalleled coaching experience is the basis of her proven training methodology, which she applies to each of the 15 unique triathlon training schedules, removing the hassle of creating a plan from scratch.
The second edition includes:
- Easy tips on modifications that allow triathletes to further personalize the plans according to their needs.
- A new chapter on 13 Weeks to a Sub-13 Hour Ironman
- 8 training plans requiring only 5–10 hours of training each week.
- 5 training plans to go farther—3 training plans for finishing an Ironman and 2 plans for finishing a half-Ironman race.
Training Plans for Multisport Athletes has a challenge to suit everyone, from beginners to accomplished triathletes, for those who are short on training time and those who are training for a faster time.
Training Plans for Multisport Athletes
Paperback with 2-color interior and tables throughout.
7 3/8″ x 9 1/4″, 256 pp., $21.95, 9781931382922
Foreword by George M. Dallam, PhD
Preface to the Second Edition
Preface to the First Edition
Workout Codes Quick Reference
Part I: Multisport Basics
1. Can One Plan Fit All?
2. Levels of Exercise
3. Basic Nutrition for Endurance Training
Part II: Fast-Track Training
4. 12 Weeks to a Sprint Triathlon for Athletes with Limited Fitness
5. 6 Weeks to an Olympic Triathlon for Athletes with Limited Time
6. 13 Weeks to a Half-Ironman for Athletes with Limited Time
7. 13 Weeks to an Ironman for Athletes with Limited Time
Part III: Duathlon, Xterra, and General Multisport Training
8. Cyclist to Duathlete
9. Runner to Duathlete
10. XTERRA and other Mountain Bike Triathlons
11. Multisport Fitness Plan
Part IV: Training for Improved Performance
12. Faster Sprint-Distance Performance
13. Faster Olympic-Distance Performance
14. Faster Duathlon Performance
15. 13 Weeks to a Sub-13-Hour Ironman
Part V: Long-Term Training
16. 27-Week Plan to a Half-Ironman
17. 26-Week Plan to an Ironman
18. 52-Week Plan to an Olympic-Distance Triathlon
Part VI: Workouts and Workout Codes
19. Swim Workouts
20. Bike Workouts
21. Run Workouts
22. Strength Training and Stretching
A. Field Tests for Estimating Lactate Threshold Heart Rate on the Bike
B. Field Tests for Estimating Lactate Threshold Heart Rate on the Run
C. Training with Power
D. Health Questionnaire
E. Sample Swim Workouts
F. General Instructions for Plyometric Workouts
G. Instructions for Treadmill Workouts
H. Instructions for Treadmill Track Workouts
I. Travel and Race Day Checklist
About the Author