This article is an excerpt from Hit Reset: Revolutionary Yoga for Athletes by Erin Taylor. In this comprehensive guide, Taylor identifies the 10 most common issues holding athletes back and gives specific poses to solve them. In addition, the book incorporates breathing and focus exercises to make you a stronger athlete in both body and mind.
When you hear “back pack” do you automatically think of the aches and pains that came with carrying your life on your shoulders? Just because you’re no longer lugging around a day’s worth of school books, doesn’t mean you get to neglect the important core muscles that reside on your backside! Back muscles are overstretched and sore from our sedentary round shouldered lifestyles, and are overlooked by most core exercises that only focus on six pack abs. Next time you want to strengthen your core, back track with this functional strength routine and train your muscles to stabilize your spine in neutral.
Back it Up
- Start with your feet parallel and wide apart.
- Tilt your torso forward until it is parallel to the floor.
- Keeping your knees slightly bent, stick your butt out behind.
- Engage your core by lifting your low belly and knitting your front ribs together.
- Reach your arms forward with palms facing each other while drawing your shoulder blades toward each other.
- Hold for 5+ deep breaths as you concentrate on maintaining a long, neutral spine.
$21.95 Add to cart
Gain balance, strength, and mobility with Hit Reset: Revolutionary Yoga For Athletes by Erin Taylor. The HIT RESET approach uses yoga to solve the specific problems you face as an athlete. Her revolutionary way to do yoga can improve functional strength, flexibility, muscle recruitment, breathing and focus, core strength, and durability.